It doesn’t matter what course you are doing. You need to know what options you have when you leave school or college.
There are two main questions to consider:
1. What type of job will suit me?
To find out what jobs could suit you, think about:
- Your priorities - what is most important to you? Is it:
- Job satisfaction?
- Work / life balance?
- Your location?
- How far you'll travel for work?
- Promotion prospects?
- Your likes and dislikes
- What you are good at (and what you are not so good at)
2. What career path can I take?
Some careers have very specific paths, and for others there are a variety of paths you could take. When deciding on the path for you consider:
- How long will it take?
- How much will it cost?
- Can I get the job I want through this path?
- Which path will best suit the way I learn best?