10 great ways to find a company to work for:
Online job search engines
But you can also use online job sites to your advantage even if you can’t find jobs to suit you. Take a note of the employer names and details you are interested in. You can then contact them directly with your CV and a covering email/letter explaining your skills and experience. If they are advertising one job, they may have other openings not advertised.
Employers own websites
Use local online business directories
Online Business Directories are often available on council websites and others are found on separate websites.
Local Online Business Directories can give you lists of companies in your local area, giving you access to their contact details, so that you can approach them to ask for a job.
Start searching on Business Wales Online Directory Listings.
Search for companies through trade organisations, associations, federations or societies
When looking for a specific career in a specific industry, using organisation and trade sites is a great way to find potential employers. Job Information Leaflets contain a list of useful contacts which include sector organisations and societies.
You can also search for organisations linked to a specific type of trade or industry through the internet: keywords to use in the search engine - ‘Sector’ + ‘Association or Federation or Society’ + UK, for example - Engineering + Association + UK. This will bring up lists of Engineering Associations. Some of these sites have free access to their membership directories. You can contact companies you would like to work for, or view their websites for any advertised jobs. If you are not sure of what type of job you are interested in yet try our Career Search or Job Matching Quizzes to get ideas.
Read the business and finance sections of local newspapers, either online or paper versions
This is an excellent way to find out what companies are expanding in your area, or moving into the area. You may even find a contact name in the newspaper article so you know who to approach. You can then use a search engine online to find out more about the company or see if they have any jobs on their website. Another way to get information on what job sectors are strong in Wales is to see our Job Trends pages.
Access specialist sites - look out for specialist sites as you search for jobs
You can then bookmark ones that interest you and return to them later
Examples of specialist sites include:
- Fast Growth 50 which lists the 50 fastest growing companies in Wales. As they are growing companies they may well be recruiting and in your covering letter e-mail you can start by saying how you found their company or vacancy
- People Exchange Cymru advertises public sector jobs in Wales
- FE jobs – jobs in colleges across the UK
Use social media
Social media can be a great way to make contacts and find work.
Get advice on how to find work through social media sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter. Find out how to present the right social media presence.
Recruitment agencies have their own sites advertising jobs
They also advertise through the big online job websites
There are a variety of places to search for graduate jobs:
Don't feel like you have to do this alone!
There are plenty of people who want to help you to find work so you could:
- Join a local job club
- Arrange an interview with a Careers Adviser for more support - Contact us or drop in to a local Careers Centre for more help
You can also find jobs that are not online:
- Ask your contacts. Ask everyone you know about any companies they have heard of, or work for, and contact the companies. If you feel unsure about how to approach companies use our hints and tips on writing letters/e-mails to impress, and telephoning to ask for jobs.
- Advertised in companies’ windows. Some employers still advertise by posting a notice in their windows or notice boards.