So you’ve decided that you want to become an apprentice. Now you need to know how to get an apprenticeship
Take a look at our guide to getting an apprenticeship:
First you need to find apprenticeship vacancies.
The main places to find apprenticeship vacancies are:
- Apprenticeship vacancies
- Find employers who offer apprenticeships and visit employer websites directly to search
- Online job websites
- Ask your contacts
Second you need to get prepared before you apply.
- The job description and job specification
- The instructions and information about the apprenticeship application process (this could be in the job description or on the company’s website)
- About the apprenticeship programme offered within the company (if available on the company’s website)
- Information about the company on the company’s website
Have this information with you when you fill out the application/CV and covering letter.
- Your CV and/or application form. Your apprenticeship application will be one among lots of others. Make your CV stand out from the crowd and submit the best CV or application you possibly can:
- Take time to complete the CV and application form. Don’t rush it.
- Get help to build a CV or write an application, and contact us if you would like more help
- Ask someone to proof read the CV/application for you before you send it
- Keep a copy of all CVs and application forms you send. You will need to know what you’ve written to prepare for the interview stage. Tip: If you are going for similar jobs you may be able to re-use information in them.
- A covering email or letter to go with your CV or application (if required). Some employers will ask for a covering letter or email. Find out what to put in a covering letter/email.
- For online or face to face assessments. Some apprenticeships have online or face to face assessments. Take practice tests to get prepared
- For interview. If you have a strong CV or application you are more likely to get an interview. Give yourself the best chance and prepare for interviews before they happen.